Fraser River Heritage Walk

The Fraser River Heritage Walk links the key heritage sites in Port Haney with a paved walkway. Beginning at the refurbished Port Haney Wharf, now equipped with a landing for river traffic, the walk takes you through an underpass of the Haney Bypass to historic Haney House. You may stop there to admire the river view, or sit on a bench in the Haney orchard at the top of the garden. Winding through a residential area, the walk takes you to Brickwood Park on the corner of 225 Street and 116 Avenue. From there it is an easy stroll to the Maple Ridge Museum along 116 Avenue. The River Walk is open year round.

1. Port Haney Wharf and Office


The Port Haney Wharf and Office is a false front building that was constructed in 1935 as a real estate and insurance office in upper Haney. It was moved in 1950 when the Post Office on 224 Street was built. Roy Beckstrom Towing Company used it as an office on the riverfront until the early 1980s. It was moved again onto the Port Haney Wharf after restoration in 1992.

2. Original Post Office


The Post Office was housed in various general stores until this building was erected in 1932 as the first separate post office. Because many businesses had moved to the upper town, this building was used as a post office only until 1939. It is now a residence.

3. Bank of Montreal


The Port Haney branch of the Bank of Montreal was opened in 1911 and was the first and only bank in the community and had living quarters upstairs for the manager. When the present Bank of Montreal was built on the Lougheed Highway in 1932, this building was used for housing. The building was restored as the Billy Miner Pub in 1981.

4. Manse


The Manse next door to St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was built in 1905 to house the Rev. William Reid and his seven children. It was sold in 1957 to buy a new manse and it remains as a private home.

5. St. Andrew's Heritage Church Hall


The brick-faced St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was built as a Presbyterian church in 1888 on land donated by Thomas Haney. The steeple was added in 1934 to house the Methodist Church bell. St. Andrew's became a United Church in 1926 and continued to serve a congregation until 1957 when it was replaced by the larger church at 222 Street and Dewdney Trunk Road. The heritage church is now used as a small community hall, operated by the Maple Ridge Historical Society.

6. Prince David Lodge Masonic Hall


The Prince David Lodge Masonic Hall was originally constructed on the Lougheed Highway (north side between 224 Street and 225 Street) in 1931, and moved to its present location on 116 Avenue in 1980. The hall has been in continuous use since it was built.

7. Old Haney Post Office


The old Post Office stood on Fraser Street to serve as the Haney Post Office from 1939 until 1951. It was used by several retail stores until the Maple Ridge Historical Society moved it in 1979 to Callaghan Park where it serves as a preschool.

8. Haney House


This gracious family home was built in 1883 on the brow of a hill overlooking the Fraser River by pioneer Thomas Haney for his wife Anne and family. They came to Maple Ridge in 1876 and founded the town of Port Haney in 1882. Members of the Haney family lived in the home until 1979 when it was donated to the people of Maple Ridge. Haney House has been open to the public since 1981. Features of the main floor are a farm kitchen, family portraits and furnishings in the parlour and dining room. Upstairs is a fully furnished master bedroom, little girl's room, priest's room and bathroom.

9. Haney House Orchard


Surrounding Haney House are heritage gardens and remnants of the original orchard. The efforts of caretakers are reflected in the restoration of the gardens to perennial plantings of old-fashioned species.

10. Port Haney Brick Company Office


The office for the Port Haney Brick and Tile Company was built in 1930 of solid brick, tile and cement as workspace and as a showcase for the Brick Company. Located in Jim Hadgkiss Park it is now part of the Maple Ridge Museum and is used as meeting, activity and work space.

11. Maple Ridge Museum


The Maple Ridge Museum is housed in the 1907 manager's home for the Port Haney Brick and Tile Company, which operated until 1977. After demolition of the brick works, the land and two remaining buildings were donated to the City by the Baynes family for a park. The main floor tells the story of the Katzie First Nation and the pioneer settlement period as well industry and displays of household goods. On the lower level is a late 1920s era model railway diorama showing the strong influence of the CPR on the area's growth plus the role of railway logging.

12. Caboose


This 1944 CPR Caboose is one of a rare few remaining all-wood cabooses from WWII days. The plywood sheathing and action colours have all been replaced as part of a restoration to the as-built appearance. One side has the popular "script" lettering and the other side has the first "block" scheme. The interior retains the in-service configuration. It is open to visitors during tours and on the last Sunday of every month.